Vittorio is a partner of the firm and an expert litigator. With over 10 years courtroom experience, Vittorio has successfully represented many multinational companies before the Italian and European Union courts and agencies in a broad range of high-profile cases with an international dimension. He holds a PhD from the University of London, has published extensively on a broad range of issues and has repeatedly assisted in giving expert opinions on Italian law to the High Court of England and Wales.
His professional experience at Trevisan & Cuonzo includes:
- Acting in multiple standard essential patent (SEP) cases for Korean, Japanese, U.S., French and Chinese clients.
- Acting in multiple proceedings before the Italian and EU antitrust agencies in cases concerning alleged refusals to deal, software platforms, DRMs, package licenses, violations of FRAND obligations by SEP holders, hardcore cartels.
- Acting in a number of high profile referrals to the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Advising on aspects of Italian law in a number of expert opinions to be provided to the UK High Court and the UK Supreme Court in renowned patent and trademark cases.
- Acting in multiple patent infringement cases regarding electronics, mechanical, and chemical patents.
Affiliations & Publications
Vittorio regularly attends and contributes to national and international conferences. He also regularly teaches patent and intellectual property law in a number of master programs. He has published a number of works on both intellectual property law and the interaction between IP rights and antitrust law. He is also regularly interviewed by the general press for IP and antitrust related issues.
Italy - Lawyer (2008)
January 2007 - December 2011, PhD in law, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies - University of London. Thesis "Patents, Standards and Competition Law: the case of patent pooling agreements". Supervisor: Professor Mads Andenas
Master Degree in Law - University of Rome III (J.D. 2006 – magna cum laude)
Madrid (Erasmus 2004)
Degree in Law - University of Rome III (B.A. 2004 – magna cum laude)
Italian, English, Spanish
Awards & Recognitions
- "Vittorio is a client favourite. His fabulous patent practice is complemented by strong antitrust knowledge. He has an excellent command of the English language and outstanding communication skills." , IAM 1000, The World's Leading Patent Professionals, 2018
- “Vittorio Cerulli Irelli is a key name for work in copyright and designs.”, Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars, 2017
- "Has an aptitude for sensing the needs of his clients and subsequently providing the legal- and practical- solutions. With 'a quick grasp of technical issues' he delivers an outstanding quality of work", IAM 1000, The World's Leading Patent Professionals, 2017